Monday, February 8, 2010

Back in the saddle again...

So after last week's news I fell off the wagon...luckily I haven't completely undone my hard work and it should be reversible.

Yes I am an emotional eater. I know this. I also know that I am good at convincing myself the next day will be better....and convincing myself that my husband likes me the way I am. Why am I wanting to lose weight? Who cares? Mmmmm this McDonald's cheeseburger is good. Well, why not have the ice cream? I've already messed up...might as well enjoy the food the rest of the day. I'm already married...I have 5 kids. I look good for having 5 kids. Who do I have to impress?

I wonder if I'll ever really hit "rock bottom" as they say. Why do I work my butt off exercising and eating healthy just to go and eat a ton of unhealthy carbs...and repeat repeat repeat....???

After questioning myself on this journey (all while I was loving my ice cream) I finally said "Self you are doing this for you. You want to be healthy. It is true when you eat healthy you feel good. When you eat lots of fat you feel blah....and your moods are really yucky. You like the feeling of those "skinny" jeans. You like the pride after a great day of eating healthy and working hard." I realized the key word was "YOU".

This morning I woke up with a "can do" attitude. I really do want this. I really do enjoy exercising. And I really do feel better and am in a better mood when I eat healthy. Lots of pep talks and hopefully I will get through. Although I don't feel the "rock bottom" moment that others talk about turning their lives around. Which is scary b/c maybe I'm not ready. But my hope is that I can do this...and keep off the weight. Not just do it and add it back on over time again.

Something I am trying this week - I read an article in a woman's magazine this weekend about being gluten intolerant. I have all the symptoms...joint pains (my knees, elbows, and ankles have really been throbbing), GI issues, yo-yoing weight and moodiness to name a few. I figure it can't hurt to try it out. So I'm reading labels a lot more and also preparing lots of fruit and veggies containers for easy access. This week I have done a lot more prep. after grocery shopping so I don't have the excuse the crap something crappy just b/c it's easy.

Has anyone else tried going gluten-free? If so any advice would be great. I am reading up a little more today to see what hidden words might also mean gluten besides the obvious wheat stuff.

Have a good day!

1 comment:

  1. My friend does the gluten free because she has celiac disease. I know it has been hard for her to find the foods that she enjoys. However, now she experiements with recipes and has started to feel better and really question things at restaurants.

    ReplyDelete